Wednesday 30 September 2015

Date Night - Bodega

Last week Martyn and I stopped by Bodega for this months date night. Bodega is a tiny Mexican taqueria on Leith Walk that you'd miss if you blinked walking pass, there are only a handful of tables so it's worth booking. Tacos are their game and damn they are good at it. The menu has a Mexican theme but don't be fooled into thinking that's all they do. Bodega will put all kinds of food in their gluten free soft tacos, we are talking Jamaican, Thai, super foods, what ever they like. There a standard menu but also a specials board in the restaurant with 3 to 4 extra tacos on it. Oh and did I mention its BYOB? I wore my big floral New Look midi skirt, pointed t-bar flats and black t-shirt, I didn't want to be too fancy for a Thursday in Leith. I added some big hair and my really old tv handbag that I bought with I was a teenager but still love, you can change the photo in the front so I popped the picture of my friend Kyle and I on an adventure in the Tardis.

I booked a table for 7:30 and we headed up the road via Oddbins of a bottle of vino. On arrival there were 3 other tables in and spotted our's quickly as it was the only 2 seater left. We were greeted by the owner/manager/waiter/glass cleaner who welcomed us and showed us to the table. We were handed our menus, shown the specials board and asked if we needed wine glassed. We eyed up the menu and specials, at this point it became obvious that Martyn has spent time perusing the menu earlier that day as he knew exactly what he wanted. 

We ordered the guacamole and the cheese and black bean dips to share as starters, they came with a mountain of tortilla chips on the side. The guacamole was smooth and creamy with a bit of a kick and the black bean dip came warm and topped with fresh chillies, red onion ad micro coriander, it was delicious and comforting at the same time. For mains they recommend you order 2 plates of tacos each. Martyn ordered the smokey maple and pineapple pulled pork tacos and carne asada steak which was slow cooked steak with a chipotle glaze, he said they were very tasty and there was hardly a crumb left on his plate. I had the avocado tempura with wasabi mayo and slaw as well as the charred broccoli, kohlrabi puree, pickled neeps, sunflower seeds and crispy kale tacos.  My tacos were amazing! The avocado tempura were soft in the middle and crispy on the outside the slaw was fresh and crunchy but the charred broccoli one was my favourite. The broccoli was beautifully charred, the pickled neeps were bursting with lime flavour and the crispy kale was so tasty that I even managed to get Martyn to try some. 
Avocado Tempura tacos
The atmosphere of the place was really nice and we were well looked after, checked on but not bothered, Martyn didn't want everything that came in one of his tacos and they were very accommodating. After we had been there a wee while the other tables disappeared and it end up just the two of us in the restaurant which actually quite nice. The music was really laid back and chilled and we were made to feel very welcome. 

We were offered desert after our plates were cleared and we knew we would be having the churros, I said we'll have one to share, Martyn said we'd have one each, once again I repeated my order and Martyn his in a joking way and we were appeased and offered 4 churros in the one cup which I agreed to and did not regret! They were the best churros we've had in Edinburgh, warm fluffy in the inside with a bit of crunch on the outside with a delicious warm chocolate sauce. 
Mmmm Churros
It was such a refreshing change to have Mexican food that was fresh and bright with an interesting twist, the atmosphere was chilled and friendly. Great for a date night or even an evening with friends. Also thanks to Bodega for letting me use there photos, the nice lighting in the place didn't make for nice photos. 

Bodega - 62 Elm Row, Edinburgh, EH7 4AQ - 0131 556 7930 - www.ilovebodega.com

No comments:

Post a Comment