Thursday 21 January 2016

Personalised Scrabble Art tutorial

Check out the adorable Scrabble Art I made for Martyn's sister and her boyfriend for their Christmas. They are moving into their very own house early this year so I made them something for it. These are super easy to make and not to expensive either!

All you need it;
A box frame,
Scrabble tiles 
Backing paper
Craft glue
Double sided sticky tape
Scissors
Bits and bobs

First things first you need to create your design, start with your 'topic' for me it was their New Pad but you could create ones for birthdays, anniversary's or new babies. Once you've decided on that you can add in the extra words or names. I had an easy one just incorporating Natalie and Michael into New Pad. You could use someones name and and put words that describe them through it.
Once your happy with your design move onto the frame. I used the Ikea Ribba frame, it's nice and deep and comes in a couple of colours. Grab your backing paper, it can be wrapping paper, decoupage, fabric or just plain paper. I used some beautiful hand made paper that I bought from Paperchase with a cream back ground and lovely gold pattern on it. Place your backing of choice, pattern down, on your work surface and take out the back section of the frame and pop it on your paper and drawer around it. Cut out your background and use the double sided sticky tape to attach it to the back of the frame, use plenty of it as you'll be sticking the tiles and bits and bobs onto it.
When you have it lined up and stuck to the back of your frame you should lay out you Scrabble tile design, you can pick up the tiles in most good haberdasheries. Begin sticking the tiles down using your craft glue starting at the middle and working your way out, that why the design should stay pretty central. Once they are all stuck down you can play with your bits and bobs, I had picked up a packet of felt keys, locks and blue birds that I arranged around the lettering. 
As you can tell I like things symmetrical.
Give your design a couple hours to dry before lifting it. When you feel the glue has done its job and everything is secure all you do is pop it back into the frame. I had a little trouble with this as I hadn't made the edging of my backing paper very neat but it should be easy. 

Ta dah! Beautiful handmade personalised gift for friends and family. 

No comments:

Post a Comment